Sunday, August 21, 2011

International Homeless Animal Day

Today is Sunday. I just knew that yesterday was International Homeless Animal Day. International Homeless Animal Day will be held every third Saturday of August. I didn't know such day exist until I received a newsletter from Dr.Jon. But, everyday is Homeless Animal Day for million homeless cats and dogs in the world.

Some sad facts I wanna share with all of you out there. Last year, over 17MILLION dogs and cats been turned over to animal shelter. OUT OF 10 were taken in, ONLY 1 found home.Of the rest, 13.5MILLION had to be DESTROYED. (quoted from http://www.petplace.com/dogs/homeless-animal-day/page1.aspx?utm_source=catcrazynews001et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter )

What about in Malaysia? 

SPCA (Selangor) itself receives average 7,000 unwanted cats and dogs a year, and out of 7,000 only 1,200 were rehome. Another 5,800 sadly need to be destroyed. (quoted from http://www.spca.org.my/v51/about_history.php)

How bout PAWS? H.O.P.E Malaysia? Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better? And many other shelter out there.... 

Though some are Non-kill shelter, how long can they withstand, trying to survive and help more homeless and abused animal if adoption rate is less than received?

Though these homeless are healthy and adoptable, their chances to get a new home been outweigh by overpopulation, and yeah, of course, people prefer pedigree breed rather than the "no brand ones" or "second hand ones". 

Don't you know that 1 female cat and her offsprings CAN PRODUCE 420,000 cats in 7 years? O.O


Meanwhile 1 female dog and her offsprings CAN PRODUCE 67,000 dogs in 6 years!! =O


Yes, they are indeed, very productive!

 I believe this problem, the whole overpopulation thingy can be solve when everyone..YES I SAY EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU do your part. 

The holy word is NEUTER! NEUTER! NEUTER!

For those who are pet owner, neuter your pet. Not only the female ones, even the male ones.

We Malaysian should also start thinking about T-N-R. Trap-Neuter-Release. I always believe this could solve stray problem in Malaysia. Let me tell you a story on my visit to Singapore early this year.

I was walking my way to the MRT from hotel when I saw a stray cat "lepak-ing" happily under the pedestrian bridge nearby the MRT station. My brain automatically switch to "Must Be Hungry Poor Stray Kitty" mode because in Malaysia that is the reality. So I bought some kitty food and fed him. To my shock... He looked at me then continued sleeping. WTH??????


Then I realize, the stray is product of T-N-R. That is when I put my faith on T-N-R. No kitty begs food at restaurant. No kitty fight with other kitty. No kitty horny noise in the middle of the night. And.. NO MORE NEW BORN STRAY Kitty.. How beautiful T-N-R system works and I want to educate Malaysian to implement this system too. I started T-N-R in Cyberjaya area. Though it is still a tiny winy project, but IMAGINE if EVERY ONE OF US NEUTER 1 STRAY DOG/CAT, there are about 27MILLION people living in Malaysia... Do the math guys... 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...